Juan Gabriel is a Mexican singer, songwriter,
recording artist, and performer.
He was born on Cinco de Mayo street (now known as Juan Gabriel Street)
in the small town of Parácuaro, Michoacán, to father Gabriel Aguilera Rodríguez
and mother Victoria Valadez Rojas. He is the youngest of 10 siblings.
Alberto Aguilera Valadez
Also known as
Adán Luna, Juan Gabriel, Juanga, El Divo de Juárez
January 7, 1950 (age
Parácuaro, Michoacán, Mexico
Latin Pop / Mexican pop
Did You Know
• He has never married, but
has four children with
In 1987, Juan Gabriel founded Semjase,
a house for orphaned and underserved children located in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico.
Awards and Achievments
• In 1986, Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley declared October 5 "The Day of Juan Gabriel."
• Received the Lo Nuestro Award Excellence Award in 1991.
• He was inducted into the Billboard Latin Music Hall of Fame in 1996
• Received ASCAP Songwriter of the Year Award in 1995
• He's a six time Grammy nominee
• Sold 100 million copies of his albums
• In 1995, three of his songs reached the Top 40 of Billboard magazine's "Hot Latin Tracks" radio charts
• Received People's Choice Latin Music Award, 1999,(Ritmo) for best regional artist for his Con La Banda El Recodo
• Received La Opinión Tributo Nacional (Lifetime Achievement Award) in 1999
• A statue of him was erected at Mexico City's Plaza Garibaldi in 2001
(It's a favorite performance area for mariachi bands and was done by sculptor Oscar Ponzanelli).
• He took home 4 Billboard Awards in 2002
• He was honored as the Latin Recording Academy's Person of the Year on November 4, 2009,
the night prior to the 10th Annual Latin Grammy Awards.
• Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame