John Cougar Mellencamp is an American rock singer-songwriter, musician,
painter and occasional actor known for his catchy, populist brand of heartland rock which emphasizes
He has sold over 40 million albums worldwide and has amassed 22 Top 40 hits in the United States.
Also known as
October 7, 1951 (age
Seymour, Indiana, United States
5' 8" (1.72 m)
Priscilla Esterline (m. 197081)
Victoria Granucci (m. 198189)
Elaine Irwin Mellencamp (m. 19922011)
Michelle from his first marriage to Priscilla Esterline
Daughters Teddi Jo and Justice from his second marriage to Victoria Granucci
Sons Hud and Speck from his marriage to Elaine Irwin
Rock, heartland rock, roots rock, folk rock, hard rock, folk
Vocals, guitar, harmonica
Little Big Town
Did You Know
• He holds the record for the most tracks by a solo artist to hit number-one on the
Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, with seven.
• Mellencamp is one of the founding members of Farm Aid, an organization that
raises awareness about the loss of family farms and to raise funds to keep farm families on their land.
• He is of German and one-sixteenth African-American ancestry
• He was born with spina bifida, for which he had corrective surgery as an infant
• He formed his first band, Crepe Soul, at the age of 14
• He eloped with his pregnant girlfriend Priscilla Esterline at the age of 18 and became a father in December 1970,
six months after he graduated from high school.
• His daughter Michelle became a mother at age 19, making Mellencamp a grandfather at the age of 37.
• He dated actress Meg Ryan for over 3 years after his divorce from
John Cougar Mellencamp Awards
Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 10, 2008
Billboard Music Awards Century Award
Edison Award for The Lonesome Jubilee Rock/New Wave (buitenlandse herkomst)
Grammy Award for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance for "Hurts So Good"
John Cougar Mellencamp Quotes
"Rock'n'roll starts between the legs and goes through the heart, then to the head. As long
as it does those three things, it's a great rock song."
"Forget all that macho sh*t, and learn how to play guitar."