Dream Theater are an American progressive metal band formed in 1985 under the name Majesty by John Petrucci,
John Myung, and Mike Portnoy while they attended Berklee College of Music in Massachusetts.
They subsequently dropped out of their studies to further concentrate on the band that would ultimately
become Dream Theater.
Also known as
Though a number of lineup changes followed, the three original members remained together
along with James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess until September 8, 2010 when Portnoy left the band. In October 2010,
the band held auditions for a drummer to replace Portnoy. Mike Mangini was announced as the new permanent
drummer on April 29, 2011.
Boston, Massachusetts, US
Progressive metal, progressive rock
Liquid Tension Experiment, Explorers Club, Mullmuzzler, OSI, Platypus
John Myung - bass, chapman stick (1985-present)
John Petrucci - guitar, backing vocals (1985-present)
James LaBrie - lead vocals (1991-present)
Jordan Rudess - keyboards, keytar, continuum fingerboard, harpejji, lap steel guitar (1999-present)
Mike Mangini - drums, percussion (2010-present)
Mike Portnoy - drums, backing vocals, percussion (1985-2010)
Kevin Moore - keyboards (1986-1994)
Chris Collins - lead vocals (1986)
Charlie Dominici - lead vocals (1987-1989)
Derek Sherinian - keyboards (1994-1999)
Awards and Achievments
• The album Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory was ranked No. 95 on the magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Albums of All Time.
Total Guitar Paul Gillard
• John Petrucci won Guitarist of the year award (2007)
Ultimate Guitar Archive
• In 2009, Dream Theater were placed on the Top 10 in Ultimate Guitar's The Greatest Metal Bands of the Decade.
Classic Rock magazine
• Dream Theater won The Spirit of Prog Award at the Classic Rock Roll of Honour 2009 in London.They were also nominated for the Album of the Year Award for their album, Black Clouds & Silver Linings in 2009, but lost to AC/DC's Black Ice.
• In July 25, 2011, Dream Theater were placed on the list "The Best Prog Rock Bands of All Time", chosen by the Rolling Stone Magazine's readers poll.
• The MusicRadar readers poll placed them amongst "The 30 greatest live acts in the world today" (as of 2010). They peaked No. 5 on the list, placed over artists like Metallica, Muse, U2 and Coldplay.
• John Myung, from August through September 2010, was voted the greatest bassist of all time. In the same time frame, Mike Portnoy was voted the second best drummer ever, losing out to Joey Jordison. In December 2010, James LaBrie was voted the 15th best frontman of all time (with Axl Rose coming first and Freddie Mercury in second). Jordan Rudess was voted the best keyboardist of all time in a poll conducted from June to July this year, with John Petrucci coming second in a shred-guitarist poll conducted in May this year (losing out to Al Di Meola).
• Derek Sherinian was voted "Best Keyboardist" in Metal Edge magazine's 1998 Readers' Choice Awards.
• At Dream Theater's Salt Lake City show, Governor Jon Huntsman, Jr. signed a proclamation making July 30, 2007, "Dream Theater Day".
• Dream Theater played twice on Xbox 360s Game With Fame event. They played Halo 3 in December 2007 and Call of Duty: World at War in June 2009.
• On November 2010, Dream Theater was inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame.