That Fearful Day, That Day Of Speechless Dread Lyrics
1. That fearful day, that day of speechless dread,
When Thou shalt come to judge the quick and dead
I shudder to foresee,
O God! what then shall be!
2. When Thou shalt come, angelic legions round,
With thousand thousands, and with trumpet found;
Christ, grant me in the air
With saints to meet Thee there!
3. Weep, O my soul, ere that great hour and day,
When God shall shine in manifest array,
Thy sin, that thou may'st be
In that strict judgment free!
4. The terror! - hell-fire fierce and unsufficed!
The bitter worm: the gnashing teeth: - O Christ,
Forgive, remit, protect;
And set me with the elect!
5. That I may hear the blessed voice that calls
The righteous to the joys of heavenly halls:
And, King of Heaven, may reach
The realm that passeth speech!
6. Enter Thou not in judgment with each deed,
Nor each intent and thought in strictness read:
Forgive, and save me then,
O Thou That lovest men!
7. Thee, One in Three blest Persons! Lord o'er all!
Essence of essence, Power of power, we call:
Save us, O Father, Son
And Spirit, ever one!
Back to: Christmas Carols