Nova, Nova: Ave Fit Ex Eva Lyrics
1. Gabriel of high degree,
He came down from the Trinity
From Nazareth to Galilee,
2. He met a maiden in a place;
He kneeled down before her face;
He said: "Hail, Mary, full of grace!"
3. When the maiden saw all this,
She was sore abashed, ywis,
Lest that she had done amiss.
4. Then said the angel: "Dread not you,
Ye shall conceive in all virtue
A child whose name shall be Jesu."
5. Then said the maid: "How may this be,
Godes Son to be born of me?
I know not of man's carnality."
6. Then said the angel anon right:
"The Holy Ghost is on thee alight;
There is no thing unpossible to God Almight."
7. Then said the angel anon:
"It is not fully six months agone,
Since Saint Elizabeth conceived Saint John."
8. Then said the maid anon quickly:
"I am Godes own truly,
Ecce ancilla Domini."
Back to: Christmas Carols