The First Nowell Lyrics
1. The first Nowell the Angel did say
Was to three poor Shepherds in fields as they lay.
In fields where they lay keeping their sheep,
In a cold winter's night that was so deep.
Nowell, nowell, nowell, nowell.
Born is the King of Israel.
2. They looked up and saw a star
Shining in the East, beyond them far,
And to the earth it gave great light,
And so it continued, both day and night. [Chorus]
3. And by the light of that same Star
Three Wise Men came from country far,
To seek for a King was their intent,
And to follow the Star wherever it went. [Chorus]
4. This Star drew nigh to the North West;
O'er Bethlehem it took it's rest.
And there it did both stop and stay,
Right over the place where Jesus lay. [Chorus]
5. Then did they know assuredly
Within that house, the King did lie
One entered in then for to see
And found the babe in poverty. [Chorus]
6. Then enter'd in those Wise Men three,
Full reverently upon their knee,
And offer'd there, in his presence,
Their gold, and myrrh, and frankincense. [Chorus]
7. Between an ox stall and an ass,
This Child truly there born he was;
For want of clothing they did him lay
All in a manger, among the hay. [Chorus]
8. Then let us all with one accord
Sing praises to our heavenly Lord;
That hath made heaven and earth of nought,
And with his blood mankind hath bought. [Chorus]
9. If we in our time shall do well
We shall be free from death and Hell
For God hath prepared for us all
A resting place in general. [Chorus]
2. They looked above, and there saw a star,
As it shone in the east but beyond them afar:
And to the earth it gave forth great light,
And continued so both day and night.
3. And by the light of that same bright star
There were three wise men came from the east country far;
To seek the King it was their intent,
And to follow the star where ever it went.
4. The star drew nigh unto the north-west;
Over Bethlehem paused, and there it did rest;
And there did shine most bright, and did stay
Over where the young Child and His mother lay.
5. Then entered in those wise men all three
Very reverently upon bended knee,
And offered there in His presence
Gifts of gold and of myrrh and of frankincense.
Back to: Christmas Carols
Top Hits |
One Hit Wonders
TV Themes |
Miscellaneous Lyrics |