The First Day Of Yule Lyrics
Make we mirth
For Christ His Birth
And sing we Yule till Candlemas.
1. The first day of Yule we have in mind
How man was born all of our kind,
For He would the bonds unbind
Of all our sin and wickedness.
2. The second day we sing of Stephen
That stoned was, and said up even
With Christ there he would stand in heaven,
And crowned was for his prowess.
3. The third day 'longs to St. John,
That was Christ's darling, dearest one,
To whom He took, when He should gone,
His dear mother for his cleanness.
4. The fourth day of the Children young
With Herod's wrath to death were throng,
Of Christ they cold not speak with tongue,
But with their blood bare witness.
5. The fifth day hallowed St. Thomas,
Right as strong as pillar of brass,
Held up his church and slain was,
For he stood fast in righteousness.
8. The eighty day took Jesu His name,
That saved mankind from sin and shame,
And circumcised was for no blame,
But for example of meekness.
9. The twelfth day offered to Him Kings three,
Gold, myrrh, incense, these gifts free,
For God and man and king is He,
And thus they worshipped his worthiness.
10. The fortieth day came Mary mild
Unto the Temple with her child,
To shew her clean that never was 'filed,
And herewith ends Christmas.
Back to: Christmas Carols